The Gouthwaite Board of Management (GBM) was set up under the Bradford Corporation Water Act 1890.
At this time, Bradford City Corporation proposed to build three reservoirs in Upper Nidderdale. Two of these, Scar House and Angram, were to be for water supply to Bradford, and the third, Gouthwaite, would be a “compensation reservoir”. Its purpose was to store water, regulate the flow of the River Nidd downstream and compensate the millowners and riparian proprietors on the River Nidd, whose water supply would otherwise have been affected by the two new reservoirs at the top of Nidderdale.
To this day, Gouthwaite Board of Management sets the “Rules” for the flow of water from the reservoir, advised by Yorkshire Water and the Environment Agency.
To find out more about the history of the Gouthwaite Management Board click here. Please click on the tabs at the top of this page to find out who the current members of the GBM are, what Rules dictate the flow of water from the reservoir and to read minutes from recent meetings of the Board.